Once again, amazing things happened in my kitchen today! I am so excited that I have finally found some whole 30 recipes that have a ton of flavor. My new favorite recipe website is PaleOMG. Now, not everything is whole 30 approved but I can go through and find some recipes that have all been consistently AWESOME. (My post, sausage and brussels sprouts, was also an edited PaleOMG recipe.)
Even if you’re not doing whole 30 or even Paleo, this is a flavorful and veggie-packed meal. Talk about all the nutrition a body could possibly need on one plate! Plus, as usual, it’s really easy – which you all know that I love. The amount of veggies that I sauteed ended up making four portions with a couple ladles of the meat sauce on top and then I had two large portions of meat sauce left over so I’m going to freeze that for another time.
For this recipe, I followed PaleOMG’s recipe pretty much to the T and then I got creative with the veggie saute. The beauty of this meal is that you can do whatever you want as far as the vegetable saute goes. Don’t like mushrooms? Sweet. Don’t use them. Add some brussels sprouts or some broccoli instead.
Sweet Potato, Mushroom, Kale and Spinach with Meat Sauce
Prep time: 10 min. | Cook time: 20 min.
Serves 4 (Plus some extra sauce)
What you need:
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3 bell peppers, diced – any combination of red, green, or yellow
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 T. minced garlic (or 3 cloves, minced)
- 2 – 14 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 t. cayenne
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1/2 t. parsley
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 1 T. basil
- 2 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 2 c. spinach
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 2 T. olive oil
- Get all of your veggies diced and ready to go.
- Get the meat sauce started. Heat 2 T. oil in a large pan (I used a soup pot) over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add garlic, onion, and peppers with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.
- While your sauce is starting, heat the other 2 T. of oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pan. Cook them, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes so they start to get soft.
- Head back over to the sauce, add the sausage and chicken to the peppers and break up the meat.
- When the meat begins to cook, add all the spices.
- Back to the veggies, add the mushrooms to the pan with the sweet potatoes and cook them until the mushrooms start to release moisture.
- Last step with the sauce, when the meat is nearly finished cooking, add the cans of tomato sauce. Simmer for about 5 minutes (or until your veggies finish cooking) so the flavors can get happy and make friends.
- Finally, to the veggies, add the chopped kale and cook until it wilts down. Then, add the spinach and cook until it wilts down.
- Divide the veggies between four plates and top with meat sauce. OM NOM!
*If you want to print the recipe without all the extra internet junk, copy and paste the text into a Word document.*