I have never been much of a cereal eater. I think the only time I’ve ever enjoyed cereal is if it is coated with some form of sugar. Things like Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Golden Grahams were the ones that I liked because I didn’t like eating cereal with milk and those tasted best straight out of the box. Here I am, 20 years later, and I find out that straight sugar, GMO corn and gluten aren’t the healthiest of breakfasts.
This recipe is originally from Civilized Caveman but I made a few adjustments. As summer is right around the corner, this stuff would make an awesome trail mix with the addition of some dried fruit (and M&Ms, if you’re into that sort of thing) for all those awesome outdoor adventures you have planned this summer. It also makes a delicious breakfast with some almond milk and a couple hard boiled eggs on the side.
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Crunch
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 30 min
What you need:
- 1/2 c. raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c. raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 c. raw almonds (chopped or slivered)
- 1 c. almond meal
- 1 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 1 t. nutmeg
- 1 t. cloves
- 1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 c. 100% raw organic honey (I used local honey from Mama Jeans)
- 1 t. vanilla
- Optional add ins: dried fruit, M&Ms (don’t add these in until after the mix has cooled)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine all dry ingredients together including any additional add ins. (Don’t add any M&Ms at this point. They will melt in the oven.) Mix really well.
- In a different bowl, mix the wet ingredients. You may need to warm the mixture for 30 seconds in the microwave to get it to combine completely.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork to coat everything.
- Spread your mixture out on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir it around a bit. Respread it on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. It will develop it’s crunchiness as it cools.
- When cool, mix in M&Ms if you’re going to do that.
- OM NOM!