Well, it was (I kid you not) hotter than hell in my apartment last night. I’ve been playing the how-long-can-I-go-without-turning-on-the-air game and last night, I lost. I live in an apartment so I don’t have a real grill, but I did bust out the ol’ George Foreman last night (which didn’t help the temperature situation in my kitchen) for this recipe.
This recipe is easy and fresh, and if you have the luxury of having a man in your life, put him to work manning the grill while you sip on wine inside in the air conditioning. I adapted this recipe from one that I found on Civilized Caveman. I decided that it needed a little somethin’ somethin’.
Seasoned Burger with Spicy Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce
Prep time: 5 min. | Cook time: 20 min.
Serves 2 to 4
What you need:
- 1 pound ground meat of choice (I used venison but a fattier meat would make for a juicier burger)
- 1 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1 T. paprika
- 1 T. onion powder
- 1 T. garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 20 oz. can pineapple, drained
- 1 T. coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you’re not Paleo)
- 1 T. sriracha or Franks (you can go more here if you want it spicier)
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 T. sesame oil
- Put your raw ground meat in a bowl and mix it with all of the seasonings. Get messy. Use your hands.
- Form the meat into nice patties and set aside on a plate. My pound of meat made four good sized patties.
- Let the meat sit for a little bit to absorb the flavors while you get the sauce together.
- In a small sauce pan, combine all of the sauce ingredients – EXCEPT the sesame oil.
- Simmer it over medium heat until most of the water has cooked off.
- While your sauce is simmering, cook the patties. You can do this outside on the grill or inside on an electric grill. If you have neither type of grill, you can sear the patties on each side on the stove top and then put them in the oven until they are cooked.
- When your sauce is done simmering, put the contents of the pan and the sesame oil in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Top the patties with the sauce and serve with some steamed veggies!